Pilgrim's Rest is a small village established when gold was discovered in 1873. For 10 years, diggers worked on small-scale alluvial claims. In the 1880s, Pilgrim's Rest became a company town, and when gold fizzled, it was sold to the government and became a historical village.
The village is now a national monument.
Here is how a diggers' camp looked like.