Jesuit Mission Circuit
The seven Jesuit missions on this circuit were forgotten for over two centuries. In 1986, the release of the film The Mission, starring Robert de Niro, offered a magnificent portrait of the last days of the Jesuit missionaries in the region. From that moment on, interest in this cultural wealth grew very quickly...
The missions were restored to their former glory under the supervision of the architect Hans Roth. This work was carried out over a period of 25 years. In 1991, the area was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
San José de Chiquitos
A church of wood and clay bricks was built from 1725 to 1731. Then from 1747 to 1765, several improvements and other structures were built around the original church.
San Rafael de Velasco
San Rafael was founded in 1696 and its church was built between 1743 and 1747.
Santa Ana de Velasco
The Jesuit mission was founded in 1755.
San Miguel de Velasco
The church in this small town was founded in 1721.
San Ignacio de Velasco
The construction of the original church began in 1748 and was completed in 1761. It was destroyed by fire in 1948 and rebuilt between 1998 and 2001.
The cathedral was built in 1709 and restored in the 1970s.
San Javier (San Xavier)
The first Jesuit mission in the Chiquitos region was established in San Javier. The village was founded in 1691 and the church was built between 1749 and 1752.
On the road #1